11 November 2021:
Mediatorque and Events in collaboration with Plus 94 Research announced the 2021 results of the Top Companies South Africa: Reputation Index at a fully packed virtual awards ceremony on Thursday, November 11th.
Truworths was voted the most trustworthy company in South Africa. Debonairs, Ackermens, SABC, and Multichoice were all listed after Truworths. Truworths, Ackermans, and Mr Price are three of the top ten retailers in the fashion shopping category. Dis-Chem and Pick n Pay Healthcare, two pharmaceutical retailers, stood out as having good reputations.
Nthabiseng Mokake, MD of Media Torque and Events says, “We are proud of our association with Plus 94 Research, this survey is not only a powerful indicator of how important a company’s reputation is, but a clear distinction can be made between a company’s reputation and its share price or performance. Consumers are loyal to a brand or company when that company operates ethically and is a good corporate citizen.”
TCSA asserts that brand management and business reputation management are not the same thing. The opinions of stakeholders about a company’s reputation are crucial. Much attention is spent on the more short-term operational aspects of a brand, and insufficient time on longer-term reputation. The TCSA awards offer a gateway to an understanding and the management of reputations.
Consumers have nearly unlimited access to information about companies and can share such information with their peers across the world, making reputation management an important element in safeguarding the wellbeing of the corporate brand.
The TCSA Reputation Index was created with the goal of identifying the factors that influence a company’s reputation, and thus its long-term viability and profitability. Companies can manage their reputation, but they can’t always control or predict it. Customers, suppliers, and other stakeholders have control over it. The 2021 TCSA study had over 2 600 participants and rated about 200 companies.
Sifiso Falala, CEO of Plus 94 Research, says, “The Covid-19 pandemic has changed the business landscape and forced companies to relook their brand and reputation strategies. We have seen customers, potential partners and employees demanding more from businesses, and wanting to be associated with more conscientious companies that have great reputations. Coupled with that, in the age of social media and online customer review sites, reputation management has never been more complex. This survey gives companies and organisations the opportunity to showcase the strides they have achieved in effectively managing their brands and reputations, and provides a platform for them to also identify gaps and establish areas of improvement.”
- Overall Most Reputational Company – Truworths
- Pharmaceutical Retail – Dis-chem
- FMCG Personal Care – Colgate Palmolive
- Retail: Fashion Shopping – Truworths
- Media Companies – Multichoice
- Retail: Hardware Stores – Builders Warehouse
- Retail: Grocery Shopping – Food Lovers Market
- Motor Manufacturers – Toyota
- Soft Beverages – Red Bull
- FMCG Companies – Procter & Gamble
- Telecommunications – Telkom Mobile
- Fast Food Outlets – Debonairs
- Financial Services: Banking – Absa
- Oil & Gas Companies – Engen
- Retail: Home Stores – Hi-Fi Corp
- E-Commerce – Locanto
- State-Owned Enterprises – SABC
- Alcoholic Beverages – Heineken International
- Pharmaceutical Manufactures – Pfizer
- Entertainment – Ster-Kinekor
- Financial Services: Investment & Insurance – Assupol Financial Services
- Financial Services: Credit Providers – African Bank
- Financial Services: FinTech – Tyme Bank
- Financial Services: Short-Term Insurance- Dail Direct
- Pharmaceutical Distributors – Medinox
View the digital issue of the 2021 TCSA reputation index: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/65973671/top-companies-south-africa-2021